University Of Connecticut - Special Topics - NRE 4695 - Barrett - Fall 2017
Taught by Professor Barrett
Rising Sea Level is the most profound long-term aspect of climate change. Yet, the public is almost completely unaware of the magnitude of the problem. For three million years sea level regularly moved up and down almost 400 feet with the ice age cycles. Now, after 6,000 years of minimal change, we are entering a new era of rapid sea level rise.
In this Collegiate Edition of the acclaimed “High Tide on Main Street,” the reader will learn:
- The science behind sea level rise, plus the myths and partial truths used to confuse the issue.
- The surprising forces that will cause sea level to rise for 1,000 years, as well as the possibility of catastrophic rise this century.
- Why the devastating economic effects will not be limited to the coasts.
- Why coastal property values will go “underwater” long before the land does, perhaps as early as this decade.
- Five points of “intelligent adaptation” that can help individuals, businesses, and communities protect investments now and in the future.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Big Picture
Chapter 2: Timescale is Key
Chapter 3: Scientific Truths
Chapter 4: Sources of Confusion
Chapter 5: The Impacts
Chapter 6:What We Can Do
About the Author
John Englander is an oceanographer, consultant and sea level rise expert. His broad marine science background coupled with degrees in geology and economics allows him to see the big picture on climate and look ahead to the large-scale financial and societal impacts, particularly as they relate to sea level rise. He brings the diverse points of view of an industry scientist, entrepreneur and CEO.
For over 30 years, he has been a leader in both the private sector and the non-profit arena, serving as CEO for such noteworthy organizations as The Cousteau Society and The International SeaKeepers Society. As the Founder of the Rising Seas Group, he works with businesses, government agencies, and communities helping them understand the financial risks of sea level rise.
His best selling book, High Tide On Main Street: Rising Sea Level and the Coming Coastal Crisis, clearly explains the science behind sea level rise, the impending devastating economic impacts and the "intelligent adaptation" that all businesses and coastal communities must consider today.
Mr. Englander’s recent media appearances include MSNBC, Fox Business Channel, Al Jazeera America, ABC, CCTV (China), National Public Radio (NPR), and SkyNews TV-UK. He has been featured in USA Today, Huffington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle, and Publisher’s Weekly.
Visit Mr. Englander’s website on sea level rise.
We Also Recommend
- Rising Sea Level and the Coming Coastal Crisis - PURCHASE FOR INDIVIDUAL USE (NOT FOR A COURSE)
Oregon State University - Climate Change, Water and Society - GEOG 240 - Gosnell - Spring 2017